|Open Two Seater||Suede Green|
|Left Hand Drive||Fawn|
|Charles Hornburg, Los Angeles|
|29 August 1952||United States|
|1952||Old English White|
|Other Jaguar||San Diego|
60 more photos below ↓
Record Creation: Entered on 12 September 2019.
Photos of 672776
Click slide for larger image. This car has 61 photos. (Dates are when image was uploaded.)
Exterior Photos (11)
Uploaded September 2019:
Uploaded October 2005:
Details Photos: Exterior (22)
Uploaded September 2019:
Detail Photos: Interior (16)
Uploaded September 2019:
Detail Photos: Engine (6)
Detail Photos: Other (6)
We now require an email address to leave a comment. Your IP will be recorded in an effort to reduce spam. (Report problem posts here.)
2005-10-26 12:30:01 | Steven D. writes:
Car shown on XK model page on Jag-lovers.org
2005-10-26 12:32:28 | Steven D. writes:
Caption above photos reads:
They were part of a display for the August 2, 2000 introduction of the Jaguar X-type at Cush Jaguar in San Diego, California.
2019-09-12 13:14:32 | pauls writes:
Car now on BAT
Location: La Jolla, California 92037
Purchased by Seller in March 1956
63k Miles Shown, TMU
3.4L XK140 SE Inline-Six
4-Speed Manual Transmission
White over Green Leather
Tan Convertible Top and Tonneau Cover
16" Wire Wheels
Refurbished in 1980s
Recent Period Updates
Factory Tools & Literature
Private Party or Dealer: Private Party
This 1952 Jaguar XK120 roadster was built on August 29, 1952 and is finished in white over green leather with a fawn-colored soft top. The seller reportedly purchased the car from its second owner in March 1956 and then drove it from Massachusetts to Miramar Naval Air Station in San Diego, California. A year later the original engine was replaced with a 3.4-liter straight-six sourced from a Jaguar XK140 SE and the factory four-speed manual transmission was retained. The car was driven daily until 1964 when repeated assignments onboard USN aircraft carriers reportedly led to the long-term storage of the Jaguar in a Connecticut barn. In the early 1980s the car was refurbished with fresh paint, windshield, exhaust, carpeting, and more as outlined below. Following the seller’s retirement from the US Navy in 1983, he became Chief Judge for the San Diego Jaguar Club in 1988 and Chief Judge for the Jaguar Clubs of North America in 2003. Since the seller’s retirement the car has been shown and period-correct updates have been applied over time. This XK120 OTS is now offered with factory literature, tools, side curtains, a tonneau cover, spare parts, service records, and a clean California title in the seller’s name.
The exterior is finished in white, which the seller notes is lighter than the original Cream color. The car is said to have been repainted in 1962 and again during the early-’80s refurbishment. This included the engine bay, which was originally finished in brushed-applied flat black. In the mid-1980s the convertible top was replaced with the correct fawn-colored one. At this time the tonneau cover and side curtains were also replaced.
16″ wire wheels were reportedly re-spoked and trued by Dayton Wire Wheels in the early ’80s and subsequently repainted. Around the same time the chrome was redone and the floors, windshield posts, and windshield were replaced. Dunlop 6.00-16 tires are fitted, and a full-size spare is included with the car. In 1983 new front shocks were installed and the rear shocks were serviced. In June 2005 the brakes were rebuilt and the brake hoses replaced.
The Suede Green Connolly leather seats were reupholstered with new bottom cushions in the mid-’80s per the seller. The color-matching green door cards were also replaced at this time and are paired with a green dashboard and lighter-colored carpeting.
A Bluemels Brooklands steering wheel was refurbished in the 1980s and fronts factory Smiths instrumentation, which includes a 140-mph speedometer and a 6k-rpm tachometer with an integrated clock. Auxiliary gauges are also Smiths units. The five-digit odometer shows 63k miles, approximately 40k of which were added by the seller, who notes that the speedometer cable broke in the late 1950s and was not replaced for a couple of months.
The 3.4-liter inline-six was sourced from an XK140 SE and features dual overhead camshafts and a C-type cylinder head, which was said to increase power output to 210 horsepower at 5,750 rpm when new. The XK140 engine was installed in June of 1957 after a catastrophic failure of this XK120’s original engine (W5598-8S). During the 1980s the seller reportedly replaced the intake manifold and cam covers with the correct XK120 units. The fuel system was flushed and the fuel tank replaced, the water pump and hoses were replaced (the seller notes that factory Cheney hose clamps were retained), and the radiator was also re-cored at this time. In June 2010 at approximately 61k miles the head was removed and rebuilt, the pistons were removed, and replacement rings and rod bearings were installed. The seller notes that the battery has been converted to a single 12-volt component, although the factory look of the twin 6-volt batteries is retained.
The XK140 SE–sourced cylinder head shown above shares its casting number G5231-8S with the engine block, which can be seen in the gallery along with the letter C cast into the valley of the head.
Power is sent to the rear wheels through the reported factory four-speed manual transmission and a 3.77:1 rear differential. During the 1980s refurbishment the clutch, suspension bushings, and exhaust were replaced.
The included Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust certificate indicates that the car’s current color scheme approximates its factory-delivered specification. The initial distributor is noted as being in California; the seller purchased the car in Massachusetts and states that it previously had been in Texas. Factory literature and tools are included in the sale, accompanied by service records from the seller’s 63-year ownership
2019-09-19 16:29:52 | Capt RD writes:
Sold For $85,000 On 9/19/19
Bring a trailer online auction